Monday, June 14, 2010

Homemade Enchilada sauce... NO MORE CANNED STUFF FOR ME!

Mmmmm....
Okay... I'll explain that...

I have a TON of cooking to do this weekend for a couple of place we are going... and Chicken Enchilada's were a demand request of my boys.
So we went to Costco today, to gather ingredients... and I forgot Enchilada Sauce.

So I got to thinking... (could you smell the smoke?)
What IN that sauce anyway...
So I looked up the ingredients label on line, and was disgusted to find MSG, Modified food starches, guar gum, and a host of other CHEMICALS in a simple sauce...

My solution?
Make it myself of course...

I looked up a recipe online... perused the ingredients... and decided to wing it myself... figuring as long as I had the spices down... I could make tasty AND healthy at the same time!

So here's what I came up with...
Trust me on the ingredients... when I had my boys taste it... they said it tasted JUST like real enchilada sauce...
The following amounts are approximations... you CAN'T mess this recipe up!

1-2 tbs olive oil
1-2 Tbs flour
3 crushed garlic cloves minced...
1 can diced tomatoes or 4 tomatoes cut up into small pieces
1 bunch (2 cups?) mushrooms chopped really small (food processor is great here, just pulse a few times)
1/2 cup chopped green scallions
1 medium onion diced
1 tsp chile powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp taco seasoning mix
(use more of the last three items to taste)
Salt
Pepper
Water to thin the mixture as it cooks

Put all of this into a skillet and cook until thick and bubbly... thin with water a little...

Transfer mixture to a food processor and pulverize until smooth

That's it!!! You just made enchilada sauce!!!



I do NOT claim to know how to make Authentic Mexican fare... however, I will NEVER buy the canned stuff again.  I just had my sons taste this and they loved it.

I layered corn tortillas, the mixture, black olives, lowfat cheddar cheese, scallions in successive layers three times to make this casserole style dish...

I feel really good about having only FRESH ingredients in this dish... no prepacked anything except for the tortillas, which I made sure to buy with only corn, lime and salt as the ingredients... no lard or fillers.

I hope you try this for yourself!!!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Saundra, Me again! I agree with you ..... nothing beats home sauces..... Just a query - can you tell me what is taco? I know mexican but is it a special ingredient or is it blend of chili / paprika etc? We have mexican here of course but taco is not common - think we must call it something else. Thanks for being patient with me. BTW the photos are superb.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you feel strongly about something... or just want to say hi...

Anonymous comments will be deleted, and never published... so make sure you get a free google account or one of the other ones... Just click on "comment" below!!!