Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chefs in lab coats with safety goggles....

The first thing people say when I tell them I am on a healthier eating path (because they’ve either noticed I’ve lost weight, or they notice I’m munching on salad or fruit at football games instead of nachos and hot dogs) is say… “Oh… man… in your line of work, I bet that’s really hard… all that bread you bake and all those cookies you cater.. all those weddings and showers you cook for… it must be really hard…”


PRIOR to this eating plan… when I was on OTHER diets… yes… that statement would have deflated me. It would have reminded me that I wasn’t eating the things I loved… that I wasn’t living my life OUT LOUD… that I was being deprived of something… BUT NOW? Now…after admitting my addiction to bad food, after eating in such a way that REVERSED all my ailments that I THOUGHT I had to live with the rest of my life… after eating EVERYTHING I LOVE, in abundance day after day… after SEEING and FEELING the results of a plant based, meat sometimes, eating plan, don’t worry about portions, eating plan… all I have to say to those naysayers is…

‘NOPE…I’m worth the time it takes to cook for myself and my family… I’m worth health and vitality… I’m worth eating the purest, most nutritious food available… It’s not hard at all… because I love myself enough to change my outer appearance to match my inward spirit and zest for life…”

Okay… maybe I don’t say ALL of that… but something like that, that gets my point across without alienating the well meaning person… and letting them know… that under no circumstances am I deprived because I choose to eat a huge bowl of fruit at a game instead of plastic, chemically engineered, food-like substances… then I smile.

I don’t really know how to express my discontent with our current food system… now that my eyes have been opened… now that I feel the enormous guilt about what I have chosen to put into my body, and worse, the bodies of my children and husband, my heart and mind are bursting with the need to share why CHOOSING to eat processed, packaged, boxed food-like substances will shorten lives. I shudder at the thought of what I have put into my childrens stomachs that MAY have adversely affected their health in one way or another.

Food coloring, MSG (which is akin to Satan, in my book), saccarhin and aspartame (Satan), soda, partially hydrogenated oils (Satan again) HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (Satan comes in many forms),modified food starch, “natural flavor”, cellulose gum, yellow 6, red dye #5, blue lake, guar gum, carageenan… THESE THINGS DO NOT SOUND LIKE FOOD! They sound like a science experiment and WE are the mice…

I’ll venture to bet… that those scientists in those “food” labs… DON’T EAT THE CRAP THEY MAKE… I’ll venture to guess… that they are probably WHOLE FOOD EATERS… because they KNOW what they are doing to our “food” supply AND WOULDN’T FEED IT TO THEIR DOGS! {{Did you know that DOG FOOD, has less preservatives and almost NO altered ingredients in it? DOG FOOD IS BETTER THAN HUMAN FOOD!}}}

When people condemn me for not eating bread… because it is such a staple food, and there are healthy versions of it… I chalk it up to their own fear of thinking they may have to give it up too. NOT SO… I always tell them that I DON’T EAT BREAD as a personal choice because my body does better without it…but my family does, and they eat only the bread I make myself whenever possible. Same goes for rice… I feed my family organic brown rice at lots of meals… because it’s GOOD for them. Many times, when someone puts down a way of eating, or tries to make excuses for eating the processed foods, it’s because they are afraid they may be doing harm to themselves… and they know it.. but it would require a lifestyle change, that they may not be ready for. THAT’S OKAY… I’m not here to shove anything down anyone’s throats… I don’t make anyone read this… it’s a choice…

I just know… that we have epidemics of childhood obesity, childhood diabetes, adult onset diabetes, autism on a huge spectrum, heart diseases, more cancer, more pills, more antibiotic resistant diseases, more obesity, more everything… AND I BELIEVE OUR ALTERED FOOD IS TO BLAME FOR ALL OF IT…

Yeah… I said it. Chemical companies are now the purveyors of our “FOOD”… I won’t have it. I won’t allow it in my home anymore. I’m done with other people, in labcoats, deciding when I will die, and of what disease… because of the food choices I’ve made… from the food provided in such abundance.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.. that one can buy a six pack of soda for $1.69, and bottle of juice costs $5. Why are cheeseburgers from a drive thru for a family of 4, $4, and a bag of fruit $10?

Why? Everyone needs to ask the question… and make themselves heard… Vote at the grocery store for real food.

A bag of grapes at the grocery store may cost $10, but the prescriptions and hospital bills acquired from eating CHEMICALLY MODIFIED, ENGINEERED food, COST’S A HECK OF A LOT MORE!

So when I get the “But fruit is so expensive…” arguement… I just say… “it may be expensive, but a long, healthy life is the trade off I’m willing to make”, it kinda shuts them up…

I haven’t had a cold… in almost 10 months… Before eating healthily, I got one every six weeks in the winter. Something is working. I want it to work for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you feel strongly about something... or just want to say hi...

Anonymous comments will be deleted, and never published... so make sure you get a free google account or one of the other ones... Just click on "comment" below!!!