Friday, January 22, 2010

Shopping Tips #1

If shopping were an Olympic event, I would be the Gold Medalist…for all other shopping EXCEPT grocery shopping…it is a necessary evil I do not enjoy. However, just because I don’t enjoy something, doesn’t mean I can’t be good at it, and teach others to make it palatable.


You’ve heard all before, go with a list and a budget, never go shopping hungry, bring cash and spend only that… etc… So yeah, do all that… it’s good advice… but I go just a little bit farther… Take from my list what you love, and leave what you don’t… if I can help make your experience a little easier, then writing this post was well worth it.
Make a master list of all the food you eat and like. EVERYTHING… right down to salt, toilet paper, cleaning supplies etc… when that list is done, separate which store you purchase items in… for example…

I shop for Toilet paper, lettuce, eggs, cukes, all fruit, frozen veggies and fruit, coffee, flour, sugar, spices, meats, etc… at Costco.

I shop for Salsa, yogurt, green onions, catering supplies, nutella, cabbage etc… at Smart N Final

I shop for celery, all organic produce, pasta, dried fruit, cream cheese, organic milk, flax seed meal, oat bran meal etc… at Trader Joes. and for quick shops, I go to Stater Bros. Do I go to all these places every week? Nope. But I like shopping at different stores for different things because of the prices, sales, and they are all in close proximity to my kids schools… so since I’m out there anyway…might as well shop at them. I know, I know… for someone who hates food shopping, I sure do make it an event… well, yes… but my JOB is providing the best I can for my family and myself, and to save a few bucks in the process so we can enjoy other aspects of our lives…

Use your receipt as your shopping list for the next shop. I love doing this. Receipts now have the description of what you bought, not just the price like in the old days…{remember the voting… they use this list for their own records too} so I just keep my receipts on my glove compartment, and take them out when I shop, so I know what I need to replace…

Stock up on great deals and freeze. I know this one is a no- brainer, but did you know you can buy cherries in season and FREEZE THEM… they are sooo delicious as a dinner in the summer when they are at their peak. I buy BUCKETS of them, freeze them on a shallow cookie pan and HIDE THEM from my family and take a bowl a night… kinda like grapes.. only waaaaay sweeter… Watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melons are awesome frozen too, just seed them and cut them up into small chunks and put them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and freeze, them put them into plastic bags… Lots of other fruits can be frozen too, and are way less expensive to do yourself, than buying that small bag for 5 bucks. I do the same with bulk meats and produce… saves a ton of money.

I certainly hope this helped you. If you have other ideas, please leave a comment and let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you feel strongly about something... or just want to say hi...

Anonymous comments will be deleted, and never published... so make sure you get a free google account or one of the other ones... Just click on "comment" below!!!