Sunday, January 17, 2010

What if I want a Modified Food plan to include BREAD?

I get this question all the time.


I understand this question. My husband, when he lost all his weight {40lbs in two months} I modified the LDL plan for him so he would be able to eat bread… Why? Because it was a total deal breaker with him. He just plain and simple wasn’t going to go without eating any bread. We made a compromise… I promised him I would make him a fabulous, healthy, delicious LDL lunch with homemade, no preservative, no corn syrup, bread that I make every day, if he promised to stop buying himself soda and fast food on his drive home.

DEAL!!!

Listen… many of us… me especially, need to cut bread out of our lives completely. I believe, women especially, because we tend to develop what I call “wheat gut”, and our outer “lady” organs just suffer if we have too much gluten in our diet. Men… well… they are a completely different animal. They burn more calories, have higher metabolisms, and have more muscle mass than we do, so they burn calories and food differently than women do. You’ve seen that commercial on TV… where the women says she starved herself for a month and lost 5 lbs, and her hubby cut out soda and lost 25? Yeah… that’s what I mean.

My answer to the above question is initally “yes, but”. Yes, you can have a modified food plan to include bread, and still lose some weight… BUT!!!!! remember, the reason bread isn’t on the LDL plan is because bread triggers cravings and feeding frenzies of so many other really rotten foods that we consume far too much of…For example… cake, pies, crackers, chips, dips, soda… etc… You’ve read the bag of chips… it says right ON THERE… “Bet ya can’t eat just one!” Yep… it’s right… and then the entire bag is consumed… and no nutrition was had…

My three boys are also on a modified with bread plan… BUT… (there’s that word again)… I MAKE EVERY PIECE OF BREAD they eat. All of it… hamburger buns, pita’s, breadsticks, focaccia, sandwich bread, rolls YOU NAME IT! Why? Because I’m a bread baker, as a profession, so its easy for me. If I wasn’t a bread baker, I WOULD NOT ALLOW my boys to eat nearly as much bread as they do, (they don’t eat it except for their lunch, now, I’ve weaned them from eating it at all meals, they are much healthier and happier for it). The bread in stores is FULL of High fructose corn syrup, bad flour, fillers, modified this or that… and AIR!!! Why pay for Air? Before I started making all the bread in the house, I used to buy a bread from Costco, with 5 GRAMS OF FIBER per slice…

If you are going to eat bread… PLEASE make sure it has a ton of fiber in it… and is dark. White flour sucks. I fortify all my breads with Flaxseed Meal, and wheatgerm. Always. It’s adds an additonal 10 grams of fiber to the bread, per 1/4 cup of flaxseed.

Am I saying you should only feed bread to your family if it’s homemade? Well yeah! No, I’m kidding, I know that’s not feasible… but I’m just saying that you can eat a really healthy balanced diet for your hubby and kids by choosing a good, solid, heart healthy bread that actually FEEDS your family with nutrients and fiber.

Here’s how I work stuff like this out in my head… I imagine I’m holding a thick, globulus, fat filled, mayo laden burger in one hand, and a gorgeous, roast beef, tomato, lettuce, roasted red pepper sandwich with Balsamic Bliss salad dressing, on rich, dark, fiber filled bread, in the other hand. If I had to make a choice to feed my kids…which would I choose? Yeah, the sandwich… it still has bread, but I know it will actually get digested and the vitamins and minerals would DO SOMETHING FOR them… not DO SOMETHING TO them…

To maximize weight loss, and curb cravings, no bread is the ticket… but when “no bread” won’t do… make the good choice, and watch their bodies flourish and stay healthy…

It’s all about choices…

P.S. ~~ Remember… fruit only(or veggie soup or salad) for dinner is the way to go… serve the breads early in the day to your family, and the weight will come off, slower, but it will come off..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you feel strongly about something... or just want to say hi...

Anonymous comments will be deleted, and never published... so make sure you get a free google account or one of the other ones... Just click on "comment" below!!!