Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Healthy Taco Salad

I cook for the week, so you can pare down for one meal, or do what I do, and make a bunch and portion it out for lunches for the week!

2 lbs ground turkey or lean ground beef ( or both)
2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy)
1-2 tsp cumin

salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 large onions, chopped
2 cups frozen corn
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup green onions chopped
2 cans green chilis (or not)
1 cup zucchini (or not)
Any type of canned or cooked beans you have on hand... rinsed and drained (this adds tons of fiber and protein and nutrition)
Cook meat with a little olive oil... drain any visible fat when done, (I rinse my meat after cooking...I know... I know... but I add a lot of flavor back in)
You can either saute the onions separately or cook them with the meat, I cook them separately...
add the green onion, onions, cabbage, zucchini, frozen corn, green chili's and the seasonings all at once and continue to cook it all until the veggies have the consistency you like, (I like mine crisp tender) and taste for seasoning and add as needed... (remember, it's easier to add than to take away...)
I spread this mixture out on a big platter when we are eating it right away, and I have at the ready,
More shredded cabbage, raw
more raw green onions,
a lovely fresh or store bought salsa
fresh avocado or a good guacamole
fresh cilantro
and tabasco and sprinkle all these things in layers over the meat mixture...
You'll notice... no cheese... believe me.. it's not needed... nor is it on plan...
You can add or take away whatever veggie you love or hate... it makes no difference... just eat what you love!
** When I make a batch for the week, I just package up the meat mixture into lots of Lock n Lock containers and put them in the fridge, and have all the precut toppings ready to go separately so they don't get all soggy when I heat the meat up for lunch...
This make a gorgeous salad to take to potlucks(put the toppings on just before serving) or to have for informal dinners with friends...
(You can have some cheese available on the side for others not eating the way you do... )
Buone Mangiare!

2 comments:

  1. Sandra, Congrats on your new blog. I have just spent all afternoon catching up on WordPress. This looks a prettier site.
    Thanks for the fab recipes and photographs to go with it. I have printed off everything and so looking forward to trying some of them out. Will be checking this out on a daily basis. Thanks again for being so generous with your knowledge and info.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I have a lot more leeway here...and it doesn't take an hour to load up...

    Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you feel strongly about something... or just want to say hi...

Anonymous comments will be deleted, and never published... so make sure you get a free google account or one of the other ones... Just click on "comment" below!!!