Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cucumber or Greek Salad


I love me some cukes. Especially the Hothouse variety. There are two salads I make… all the time… using this wonderful veggie… that I’d love to share with you…

 you can… using a food processor or fine mandoline will be great…
Do the same with the onion… shredd the carrot
Combine all the rest of the ingredients and pour over the cukes… cover and refrigerate for 2 hours… EAT UP!!! My kids FIGHT OVER IT!
Cucumber Salad
2-3 English/Hothouse cucumbers (why those kind? less bitterness, no need to peel, and no wax)
1 thinly sliced red or white sweet onion
1 carrot… shredded finely
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cups olive oil
2 TBS honey or 2 tsp sugar (please… no splenda or other concoctions if you can help it… be kind to yourself)
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp dried dill weed (or not)
THINLY slice the cucumbers into rounds… as thinly as
AND…

Greek Salad

2 hothouse cukes cut into chunks

1 thinly sliced onion

5 roma tomatoes, small chunked

1 jar kalamata olives (optional)

1/2 cup crumbled Feta Cheese

Balsamic Vinegar

Olive Oil
Pinch dried Oregano (if not… don’t worry)
Salt and pepper to taste
Let all the ingredients marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours. *** Add Feta just before serving, or it will get soupy…

My family loves these salads, and they keep really well in the refrigerator for a few days. One way I like to serve it for my family, after I take a portion out for me… on the Greek Salad… is to mix in chunks of cubed sourdough bread. It turns it into a Panzanella, that is a hearty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you feel strongly about something... or just want to say hi...

Anonymous comments will be deleted, and never published... so make sure you get a free google account or one of the other ones... Just click on "comment" below!!!