Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lettuce Wraps... My favorite!


Since I no longer eat bread of any kind (personal preference, I’m not saying you should) I’ve had to get creative with my sandwiches. When I eat my Turkey Bean Burgers, I put all the fixings of a burger on them, then wrap it all up in a lovely lettuce encasement and eat up. I truly don’t miss the bread, and my kids have taken to eating them this way from time to time also!


But… one of my all time favorite meals to eat in restaurants (especially the CheeseCake Factory) is Lettuce Wraps. I. LOVE. THEM. LOOOOOOVE THEM! Catch my drift?

I am always trying to duplicate them at home… and I love it. There’s a lot of prep, but the ingredients last for a week in the fridge, and I can have a few wraps every day and be sooo happy! Word to the wise… I have yet to find alternatives to some of the ingredients, so until I find good tasting condiments that are minimally processed, I’m not worrying too much about the ingredients in this recipe… you will… however… notice that I have some ingredients that I wouldn’t necessarily eat, like nuts or peanut butter, but I do make it for my family… I use a good bottled hot asian sauce I enjoy…you can add what you like…

1 head buttery lettuce or Romaine lettuce (iceberg is a waste of time, don’t even bother)

4 carrots, shredded or julienned

2 english cucumbers very thinly sliced and marinated (see below)
bbq’d or broiled chicken breast or shrimp or fish, seasoned and marinated how you wish
thinly sliced green onion finely diced red pepper (or yellow or green)

A bottle of our favorite Asian peanut or Thai sauce

Wash and dry your lettuce and set aside, chop your veggies and place them into separate bowls

To the cucumbers after slicing, marinate them in a little olive oil, 1 tsp sugar or 1 tbs honey, balsamic vinegar, celery seed and hot pepper flakes.

If you don’t want to buy a bottle of sauce, mix up 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1-2 tbs soy sauce, 2 tbs honey, 1/2 tsp grated gingeroot and one clove of garlic.

Then… just build your wraps adding any or all the ingredients you like…
Sometimes, I eat the wraps without the chicken or shrimp, if I’ve already eaten my protein for the day. It’s just as delightful vegetarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you feel strongly about something... or just want to say hi...

Anonymous comments will be deleted, and never published... so make sure you get a free google account or one of the other ones... Just click on "comment" below!!!